Strong and changing winds, towering waves, dangerous currents: Conditions out at sea are often rough. Offshore supply vessels like the "Forte" must defy any adverse weather. And at the same time, they must maneuver with the utmost precision to ensure that platforms can be approached safely.
Combining propulsion and steering in one unit, Voith Schneider Propellers (VSP) are perfectly suited for this task. With their help, the "Forte" can keep her position even in wind and waves and drifting is minimized. In addition, the VSPs significantly reduce the rolling motion of the vessel. The "Forte" is therefore much more stable in the water than she would be without VSPs. And changing from full speed ahead to full speed astern is completed in three seconds. Prompt, precise and safe. The advantages of the VSP are:
- a higher degree of efficiency: A VSP-equipped vessel can work at the platform even in adverse weather conditions which often force other vessels to spend days waiting for the sea to calm down. Needless to say that the reduction in time also leads to a reduction in cost.
- prompt and precise steering.
- stepless, prompt and precise control of direction and magnitude of thrust.
- low downtime due to low-maintenance technology.
- roll stabilization during standstill as well as when sailing.